Saturday, January 09, 2010

Pain perdu - French toast - Poor knights - Vaesed rüütlid



I've been going through last year's food photo images and came across this. I love this picture - the plate of white bread slices, dipped into sweetened egg and milk mixture and gently browned in butter, looks appealing and appetizing.

It'll be cold here today - some say the temperatures will drop to minus 26 Celsius this weekend. It's been snowing almost daily since Christmas, and everything is covered with gorgeous, thick, white snow blanket. We're really enjoying this beautiful winter - it's truly like the winters of our childhood, and obviously that brings back lots of nice memories. Like memories of French toast for breakfast, made by my mum. I think I'll have some for breakfast today :)

Wish you all a lovely weekend!

8 comments:

Pene said...

French Toast was a way of making a few eggs feed more than one person. Enjoy! But it is only -12C here in Tartu this morning. Stay warm, Pille.

Unknown said...

Catherine loves French toast and we had some with friends on new years day. I guess -4 C is pretty balmy, eh. I would love to see Tallinn in the snow.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the lovely French Toast recipe... I love mine with bacon and maple syrup too :-)

Hope you had a great Christmas!

Tom

Manya said...

Bacon and maple syrup is a North American addition to pain perdu, but a wonderful one! the saltiness of the bacon and the sweetness of the maple can't be beat! I sometimes, when I'm feeling extravagant, put a little Gran Marnier into the egg/milk mixture, or Vana Tallinn would be great too!

Las cositas de Meri said...

Qué buenas esas torijas, es como las llammos aquí en España

Anonymous said...

In Romania it's always savoury. We usually serve it with peas and sauce. Never had it sweet...

Enely said...

I love French Toast with strawberry sauce. Just put (a bit frozen) strawberries and icing sugar into blender and mix together.

ChichaJo said...

It's been too long since I've had French toast for breakfast...must remedy that. Your gorgeous photo is inspiration enough :)

Happy New Year!!!