Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Dulce de Membrillo or a delicious quince paste to go with cheese

Dulce de Membrillo / Quince paste / Küdooniamarmelaad

I know there are several beautiful Membrillo-posts out there (f.ex. written by Melissa, Elise, Nicky, Aran, Pastry Studio - to name just a few), but I used a somewhat different method to make this delicious Spanish quince paste, so it's worth sharing the recipe after all. We were served the Queso con Membrillo on several occasions during our trip to Spain in Spring 2008 (for example, here's a plate we enjoyed at Rincón del Chorro, Albarracin, Aragon), and I've made the quince paste twice at home since then. Quinces are only available at the markets here during early Winter, and not widely familiar to people at all.

Beautiful quinces / Aiva ehk küdoonia

By the way - if you've got small children at home, then try serving them some of the puréed quince before adding the sugar. Our daughter LOVED the unsweetened quince pureé!!

Quince Paste
(Küdooniamarmelaad 'Dulce de Membrillo')

Dulce de Membrillo / Quince paste / Küdooniamarmelaad

6 large quinces (about 1,5 kg)
water
about 1 kg caster sugar
lemon juice

Wash the quinces and place into a large saucepan. Pour over enough water to cover the fruit. Bring to boil and simmer on low heat for about 1-1,5 hours, until the quinces are completely soft (test for softness by piercing with a small knife).
Remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool.
Remove the soft quinces from the cooking liquid. Cut into half, remove the core. NOTE: I did not peel the quinces. A lot of the pectin is in the peel (it's the pectin that helps the paste to thicken and jellify later), and as quinces are hard to grow commercially, it's unlikely that they've been sprayed with something horrible anyway. Feel free to peel the quinces if you prefer, of course.
Place the quinces into blender and pureé until smooth (add a spoonful or few of the cooking liquid to get you started, if needed).
Now weigh the cream-coloured fruit pulp and place into a clean saucepan. Add the same amount (re: weight) of sugar, and a squeeze or two of lemon juice. (I believe that the acid in lemon juice works with the sugar to jell the pectin in quinces).
Bring slowly to the boil and then simmer over moderate heat, stirring regularly, until the quince paste thickens, turns darker in colour and doesn't stick to the walls of the saucepan any longer (this can take about an hour).
Line a heat-resistant dish with parchment paper and pour the quince paste into the dish (mine was 25 x 35 cm). Smooth the top, and place into a dry and cool place to cool and jell completely.
Cut into thick slices and serve with Manchego cheese (or Nopri talojuust, if you're reading and making this in Estonia.).

16 comments:

MmmCheese said...

Wow - your version looks great! Quince & Manchego are just SO perfect for each other!

Maimu said...

Mäletan seda magustoitu ajast kui elasime Argentiinas. Kanadas sai seda ka ostetud. Nüüd tellin endale seda kui tean, et keegi on hispaaniasse minemas. Sobib ka kenasti atleet juustuga ja muude mahedate maitsega eesti juustudega. Tänan retsepti eest- pean ise ka järele proovima!

Katrina said...

I love the colour of your version..pale and fruity...

My version of Membrillo (http://rodnushechka.blogspot.com/2009/12/mediaval-chelly.html) made with medlars came out amber-dark, interesting..

Kat said...

imeilus :)

Jeanne said...

Oooh, my favourite with cheese!

dining table said...

I love your version. It has your own touch! Perfect!

nin said...

I love the color! I make a similar one, using a food processor and the microwave to reduce the cooking time. Check out microwave membrillio http://www.putsup.com/2009/11/quince-paste.html. I love your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hello!
This brings back memories for me. Queso y dulce is a staple for dessert in Argentina, especially when you want a quick one. Back home we eat it normally with queso fresco.
If you like to try other Argentinian recipes, may be you would like to visit my blog - the recipe for dulce de leche is one to try! -
Good luck and Happy New Year!
Gabriela

http://travelingwilbury.wordpress.com/

Melisa said...

Have you tried "goyabada" (Goyaba paste) with cheese? Try some argentinian recipes on: [http://www.caseritoviandas.blogspot.com]

elizabeth said...

oh this looks so great! I do love the color. It reminds me of the guava paste a friend from Cuba used to serve with cheese. I'll have to try this out!

pastry studio said...

Very beautiful version! And I love that you added lemon juice. I can't get enough of that rich gorgeous color. Thanks so much for mentioning my blog. Happy New Year!

Trig said...

Dessert course at L'Enclume in Cumbria a couple of weeks ago - warm quince with membrillo and cold apple sorbet. You are bringing back great memories. But then I'm back in Spain now, so I can indulge myself! Happy New Year and good cooking in 2010.

Jeanne @ Cooksister said...

I love your cheese knife - looks just like the work of a South Africa woman who does pewter pieces, Carrol Boyes...

Term Papers said...

There are several beautiful Membrillo-posts out there, and you used a somewhat different method to make this delicious Spanish quince paste,

Unknown said...

I just made this, it turned out really well. After pureing it I put it through a sieve to get any hard bits any from the skin out of it.
It set supurbly, but it didnt go that lovely red colour, mine went orange!!

Wall Mirror Gal said...

Oh, I've never had quince paste. I am going to have to check it out.